Associate Director of Development - Summer Search
While young people from low-income communities – who are disproportionately young people of color – face systemic inequities in school, in the workforce, and in life, they possess unique strengths, resilience and tremendous potential. When provided with support and resources, these young people fulfill their potential and achieve success in school, work and life.
Through a combination of mentoring and transformative experiences, Summer Search supports young people to successfully transition from adolescence into adulthood. We aim to unleash the potential of our young people while also building a toolkit for navigating and challenging systemic barriers to higher education and career opportunities.
Summer Search is seeking an Associate Director of Development to grow its fundraising program and position the organization for deeper reach in Philadelphia communities. In close partnership with the highly energetic and passionate Philadelphia Executive Director, a fast-growing and sophisticated Philadelphia Advisory Board, a local Senior Development Associate and highly engaged National development leadership, this hire will oversee strategies to help locally raise $900,000 in Fiscal Year 2019 and to grow revenue to reach more students, schools and communities in Philadelphia.
Specifically, the Associate Director of Development will:
Lead development activities to drive raising $900,000
- Build, implement, and track against an annual fundraising plan inclusive of strategies for individual and major giving (70%) and institutional giving (30%), inclusive of event giving, which in 2019 is expected to generate $250,000+ in revenue through fundraising events.
- Manage a $500K+ portfolio comprised of approximately 100 donors and prospects, from Board Members, individual donors and institutional partners.
- Oversee all aspects of fundraising events, including a signature luncheon, golf outing, and smaller home events. Manage event budgets, timelines, program design and student participation, marketing materials, guest lists, and all other logistics.
- Design and oversee a robust volunteer program which engages corporations and other nonprofit partners to work with our alums.Drive institutional giving through building relationships with foundations and submitting grants.
Partner and collaborate with staff, board, volunteer, and community stakeholders
- Partner effectively with Philadelphia’s Advisory Board to lead and steward the Development Committee and events committees.
- Supervise, coach, and develop a Senior Development Associate and report into the Executive Director.
- Participate in a cohort of development leads across the Summer Search’s 5 regional sites, sharing best practices and opportunities for collaboration.
- Regularly attend networking and community events throughout Philadelphia to cultivate relationships with new prospects and steward current supporters.
- In reflection of Summer Search’s mission, ensure “asset-based” positioning of Summer Search students, families, and communities in all donor-facing communication and interactions.
The Associate Director of Development calls for a hard-working, collaborative, and relationship-driven leader with a track record in fundraising and donor relations. Specifically, this hire will bring:
EXPERIENCE: At least 5 years of professional experience inclusive of managing fundraising strategies, and personally leading donor solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship. Event planning experience is required.
PASSION FOR MISSION: A commitment to Summer Search’s mission of unleashing students’ potential through mentoring and transformative experiences.
ENTREPRENEURIAL MINDSET: Resourcefulness and a “get it done” attitude, with the ability to drive innovation, change, and growth and maintain a high degree of flexibility and creativity in a dynamic environment.
RESULTS-ORIENTATION: Proven success in growing a fundraising budget by creating and executing clear metrics and driving results according to plan. Experience leveraging senior staff and board members in executing donor strategies.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS: A systematic and detail-oriented approach to work, with the ability to “work backwards” on projects, anticipate obstacles, set priorities, and leverage available resources.
INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: Track record of building authentic partnerships that demonstrate respect, empathy, and connection. Strong communicator with the ability to inspire a variety of audiences and articulate the importance of an organization’s work in a concise and compelling manner.
CULTURAL HUMILITY: Cultural awareness and sensitivity in working with diverse and low-income populations, with an understanding of systems of oppression facing low-income communities of color.
VALUES-ALIGNMENT: The ability to thrive in a collaborative and relationship-driven work culture, demonstrating personal qualities of empathy, openness, and authenticity.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge or comparable fundraising databases and Microsoft Office is required.Experience at a national, multi-site nonprofit is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required.Knowledge of the Philadelphia philanthropic community is a plus.
- Competitive salaries. The salary range for this position is $68,000 - $70,000.
- Medical insurance with up to 90% employer contribution
- Dental, vision, FSA, life and disability insurance plans
- 401 (K) and Employer Match up to $2,000 annually
- Generous time off including 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, 2 floating holidays, 1 birthday holiday, 10 company-wide holidays and a 1-week December closure
- Individual, local, regional and national training
- A commitment to developing leaders from within the organization
- An organizational culture that supports staff well-being and holistic self-care
- Ample opportunities to connect with the students and communities we serve
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
With a staff that cares deeply about social justice and equity, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission. We are committed to building an organization with raised consciousness in order to impact how we work with students, as well as how we work together as a team. We hope you will join us as we continue to build a diverse organization that fosters a work environment where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and valued.
How to Apply
Click here to submit a resume and targeted cover letter that answers the question “Why are you interested in the Associate Director of Development opportunity at Summer Search?” Please address cover letter to Sylvia Watts McKinney, Executive Director.