Latin American Youth Center (LAYC) seeks an experienced, detail-oriented individual with strong writing and editing skills. The lead writer will be a member of LAYC’s grant-writing team and will work closely with the director of grants management, chief operating officer, and other development staff to sustain and increase financial support for programming at LAYC. This position also works closely with staff throughout the organization, including programmatic and other administrative staff. On occasion, s/he will interact with the president & CEO, board members, funders, and donors.
The most critical skills for this position are the ability to produce high-quality grant proposals and reports by strict deadlines and manage multiple assignments, ensuring that deadlines and donor requirements are met. Qualified candidates should have experience working in a fast-paced development office and the willingness to engage donors and other supporters when necessary.
Jeanne Konicki, Director of Grants Management
- In response to government, corporate, and foundation funding opportunities, write and revise applications in collaboration with program staff and manage all aspects of application submission.
- Manage reporting process for funded applications, collaborating with program, finance, and evaluation staff as necessary to compose and submit reports to funders.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge about LAYC programs and the financing of those programs.
- In coordination with director of grants management, train new grant writers and conduct on-going review of grant applications written by grant writers prior to submission.
- Review, edit, and/or provide feedback to program staff on draft applications and reports.
- As requested, edit other LAYC documents and written communications products.
- Respond to or refer questions from program staff about donor requirements.
- Train program staff on grant proposal and reporting requirements and established procedures for collaboration with development office.
- Participate in LAYC-wide events and programs as a representative of the development office, as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to function in a fast-paced work environment and meet multiple deadlines.
- 5-10 years writing and editing experience, including demonstrated ability to coach other writers.
- 3-5 years experience with grant proposal and reporting process.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Master’s degree preferred; bachelor’s degree with additional relevant work experience may be accepted.
- 3 years experience with youth development programs and issues preferred.
- Effective in interacting with a wide range of people.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Apps Suite required.
- Spanish fluency desirable but not required.
This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 10 lbs. May require the ability to travel locally and/or regionally.
How to Apply
Submit resume, cover letter, and grant writing sample to Director of Grants Management at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latin American Youth Center