Regional Housing Development Services (RHLS) is a nonprofit law firm that works with nonprofit housing developers to create decent, safe, affordable and sustainable housing for lower-income people living in Pennsylvania. RHLS drives successful housing creation because of its unique expertise in affordable, sustainable housing, community and economic development, utility matters and preservation of home ownership.
RHLS seeks a dynamic, innovative, and team oriented Senior Manager for its Housing Development Legal Services team. This team currently includes 7 attorneys and paralegals, who provide legal counsel and representation to nonprofit organizations engaging in affordable housing and community development activities. The Senior Manager will partner with the Deputy Director to lead the housing development practice area, and to build the forward-facing business plan with the housing development legal team. The Senior Manager will also represent nonprofit clients in the development of housing funded by Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC).
This position is an exciting opportunity for an attorney with strong management skills who wants to help lead a skilled team of transactional lawyers helping nonprofit partners turn dreams into safe, affordable communities.
About Regional Housing Legal Services
Founded in 1973, RHLS engages in legal advocacy focused primarily on affordable housing and community developments in Pennsylvania. Key issue areas include low-income housing development, government policy around housing issues (including affordability, racial equity, and the intersection of housing and health), and continuity of residential utility service for low-income households. RHLS has a staff of 19 and a budget of approximately $3 million per year. The Housing Development Legal Services team assists approximately 60 community-based organizations each year, counseling and representing organizational clients on a range of affordable residential projects, primarily utilizing Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC). The team also engages in other projects to support the expansion of affordable housing in Pennsylvania.
- In collaboration with the Deputy Director and other team members, create and implement an annual business plan for the Housing Development Legal Services team. Monitor key performance indicators and support proactive measures to achieve business plan priorities.
- In collaboration with the Deputy Director, supervise and support members of the Housing Development Legal Services team. Help to sustain team collaboration, professional development, and high levels of job satisfaction.
- Support grant and contract acquisition and success/compliance for the team, including review and enhancement of the team’s systems.
- Handle a portion of the Team’s LIHTC caseload or other client matters.
- Support hiring and training of new staff.
- Support the implementation of RHLS’ diversity, equity and inclusion principles within the Team and in its work.
- Support RHLS’ planning, budgeting and administration as a member of the Management Team.
- Support effective communications regarding the Team’s work both within RHLS and externally.
The Senior Manager reports to the RHLS Deputy Director.
- Juris Doctor (JD) required.
- Admission to the bar in any U.S. state required, ability to become licensed to practice in Pennsylvania within six months of hire.
- Extensive professional legal experience, program management experience, and expertise in affordable, sustainable housing.
- Preference for candidates with significant experience providing legal representation to clients in LIHTC transactions.
- A passion for building and supporting strong advocacy teams. Previous supervisory or management experience required.
- A demonstrated ability to counsel clients on key business issues and to create and maintain key organizational relationships.
- Excellent project design and project management skills.
- Prefer candidates experienced with developing sustainable, collaborative partnerships – both internally and externally.
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
RHLS has a generous employee benefits package.
How to Apply: https://rhls.org
Send letter expressing interest in and qualifications for the position, together with a resume to: email@example.com . RHLS also welcomes nominations for the position.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.