Achieve Now, a program dedicated to changing educational outcomes in Philadelphia, is looking to hire a reading specialist for the 2020-21 school year. Our reading specialists support students and guide adult volunteer coaches as they work one-on-one with K-2 students on our scripted online literacy program.
- managing and training adult volunteer coaches;
- providing ongoing support to coach-student pairs;
- evaluating student growth through observation and assessments;
- developing and helping coaches to reach student learning goals while introducing new teaching methods;
- creating and implementing action plans and interventions for struggling students;
- maintaining accurate records and submitting required coaching session reports and weekly data;
- communicating with teachers, coaches, and Achieve Now staff to ensure smooth site operation; and
- assisting in curriculum building while researching level appropriate materials.
The successful candidate has: a passion for working with children, especially K-2 age children; a genuine interest in promoting literacy and a commitment to Achieve Now's mission of educational reform via evidence-based methods; compassion for the struggles of learners; a positive and enthusiastic attitude; ability to use varied teaching methods with knowledge of different learning styles; strong organizational skills and demonstrated attention to detail; ability to handle problems, concerns, and emotional distress with sensitivity; excellent verbal and written communication skills with children and adult coaches; the ability to work with diverse groups and to represent the organization across a wide range of constituencies; a passion for racial equity and culturally competent curricula; the capacity to work both independently and as part of a staff team.
Minimum B.A. degree required, as is satisfactory background check. Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite (Excel in particular) and Google G-Suite (especially Google Slides and Google Meets) a plus; experience in education, particularly remote learning, facilitating adult training, literacy programming, nonprofits or volunteer programs highly desirable.
Time and Hours
Full-time reading specialists must be available Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:30am and 5:30pm. Time worked and hours per week will be consistent on a week-to-week basis, but can vary per candidate, depending on preference and availability, with the typical work week having a guaranteed minimum of 32 hours.
Part-time reading specialists must be available select weekday mornings and early afternoons, with hours ranging from 9:00-3:00. Part-time reading specialists typically work between 16 and 20 hour per week.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Achieve Now strives to be a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement in all of our departments, programs, and worksites. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages and ensure that all voices are valued and heard.
Click Here for More Information