As the leader of the nonprofit sector, the Delaware Alliance for Nonprofit Advancement's mission is to strengthen, enhance, and advance nonprofits and the sector in Delaware through advocacy, training, capacity building, and research.
The pandemic and its impact have created a new landscape for nonprofits. The health climate has resulted in some organizations losing sizeable revenue; operating at limited capacity, while others experience a surge in demand for services, with limited revenue. The pace of change, shifts in funding streams, and client demand has resulted in some nonprofits evaluating their sustainability, operating models, and programs. At the same time there is a rising recognition that how nonprofits work, who they partner with and who they invite and engage with in planning must be diverse, inclusive, and equitable.
The Director of Strategy position will work inside DANA and with its members to identify innovative solutions for addressing the changing landscape and its impact on Delaware nonprofits. The Director of Strategy will collaborate with the CEO, leadership team and key stakeholders to develop strategic initiatives which help advance the well-being of DANA and its nonprofit members, inform nonprofit leadership and their boards of new best practices in this evolving world, and provide strategies to help enhance their impact in the communities they serve.
The right person for this role will have demonstrated hands-on experience in leading and implementing innovation and organizational and systems change. They have a passion for learning and years of helping others adapt to new processes and practices. They bring an equity lens to their work and have experience guiding leaders in changing policies and practices to create equity cultures within their organizations.
Contribution to DANA:
Serve as a thought partner to the CEO and senior leadership of DANA; providing valuable qualitative and quantitative insights to aid DANA in advancing its mission.
Leverage expertise to help DANA innovate, adapt, and bring an equity lens to our work and culture.
- Collaborate with the DANA team and key stakeholders to develop, champion, and launch new initiatives; incubate new service lines and offerings to prepare them for scale.
- Take ownership of high priority projects/programs, including business case alternatives evaluation, scope, cost, risks, interdependencies, workplan, implementation, impact measurement, scaling and iteration.
- Lead DANA’s research initiatives, and its mission and financial performance evaluation processes, build dashboards to tell our mission impact and financial health; identify opportunities for improvement.
Contribution to DANA Members:
- Understand the evolving needs of Delaware nonprofits by staying on top of industry and system trends to offer forward-looking perspective and advise DANA members on opportunities for strategic growth and innovation.
- Know how to ask the right questions with senior leadership and boards of directors to help them to understand their nonprofit organization and crystallize their goals.
- From unrealized potential to systemic challenges, this position will provide DANA members with resources to help them identify and implement pathways to create meaningful social impact in a financially sustainable manner.
- Offer guidance for nonprofits to advance their operations and strategies in the areas of leadership, organizational culture, governance, change management, talent, and strategic planning
- Be able to tell a great story – bringing clients along so that ideas, concepts, and projects can move forward in a timely manner
While no candidate will meet every qualification, ideal candidates will have these qualities:
- Deep experience in organizational development, evaluation, strategy, leadership development, operations and applying equity practices to organizational development and programs
- Familiarity working with organizations in transformation and demonstrated ability to lead and manage major organizational change initiatives with tact, empathy, and alignment with the vision and values of DANA
- A strong problem-solving track record –able to think critically through unique problems with no set playbook and quickly implement a path to a solution; can toggle effortlessly between big picture strategy and in-the-weeds tactical problem-solving
- A natural curiosity and exceptional analytical skills –able to structure and process qualitative and quantitative data, formulate and test hypotheses, synthesize findings and draw insightful conclusions that can translate into results
- The interpersonal strengths of an open-minded, curious, strategic, creative thinker and active listener who can mediate diverse opinions and encourage others to explore new ideas and perspectives while implementing a shared vision
- Values relationships: seeking to develop new relationships while committed to strengthening existing relationships.
- Demonstrates experience as a communicator comfortable in dialogue with a broad range of individuals at all levels and possesses outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including confidence and comfort with communication (oral and written) for a variety of audiences
- Ability to communicate complex and challenging business problem in easy to understand and relevant language
- Transparent and collaborative leadership style with Board, staff, clients, and other stakeholders
- Committed to leading with humility, empathy, and accessibility
- Ability to cultivate and sustain trust with colleagues, community partners, and stakeholders
- Conflict literacy and ability to receive critical feedback with compassion, curiosity, and humility
- A master’s level degree in business, organizational development, or equivalent work experience
- Extensive experience in management consulting, training, and business operations, preferably 2-4 years of working directly with senior executives
- Prior experience preferably in a foundation, nonprofit organization, educational institution, governmental entity, or other complex organization
- Comfortable using technology for remote work, facilitations, and consultations, and can self-solve basic technical issues
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, adobe, and databases
- Knowledge of Delaware, Delaware nonprofits and the environment in which they operate is preferred
DANA is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. We recruit, hire, train promote, transfer, compensate without regard for gender, age, race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity, genetic information, marital or veteran status, citizenship, disability, family caregiver responsibilities, reproductive health decisions, whether a victim of sexual assault, domestic violence or stalking, as well as any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
While the pandemic remains viral and a health concern, this position will work remotely. The main office for DANA is Wilmington, Delaware.
Interested candidates may submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Click Here to Learn More