Founded in 2003, the Pete du Pont Freedom Foundation (PDFF) identifies and brings to life bold and innovative ideas that create jobs and make Delaware a better place to live, work, and raise a family. The foundation is committed to expanding the legacy of former Governor Pete du Pont by focusing on business and nonprofit opportunities to improve Delaware. It creates, nutures, and celebrates for-profit and social entrepreneurs through the programs outlined below. Reinventing Delaware has a seven year history of discovering leaders of color and PDFF has increased its efforts in this area with the Equitable Entrepreneurial Ecosystem (E3).
The Foundation is currently searching for an Executive Director to lead the mission-based nonprofit organization to expand its reach and impact and to facilitate innovative programs that promote and encourage bold ideas that better the State of Delaware.
The Executive Director will need to possess vision, enthusiasm, and a fascination for innovative approaches to old problems.
Requirements for the Position:
▪ Display success in discovering and understanding opportunities for the Foundation
▪ Possess proven entrepreneurial accomplishments within the for-profit, social, and/or nonprofit sectors
▪ A history of developing creative and innovative ideas as well as launching new programs that facilitate economic growth.
▪ Proven success at interfacing with business, political, and social leaders and building relationships that will win their endorsement and financial support for the Foundation’s initiatives.
▪ Successful at applying a business acumen that will structure, as well as manage the operational success of initiatives that achieve the desired strategic and financial goals of the project and the Foundation.
Core Knowledge and Experience:
▪ 5 to 7 years of demonstrable results-oriented leadership in the for-profit or nonprofit sectors.
▪ An understanding of the challenges facing emerging and established businesses and non-profit organizations that are poised for growth.
▪ A passion for and understanding of the State of Delaware, and for facilitating the launch of entrepreneurial efforts within the state.
▪ Excellent communication skills and the ability to build relationships with local leaders and funders.
▪ Strong facilitation skills.
More about the Foundation and its Current Initiatives:
▪ Headquartered in downtown Wilmington
▪ Current operating budget $500K to $600K (it is not a grant making foundation)
▪ A team of two (including this position)
▪ The Foundation’s current programs:
The Equitable Entrepreneurial Ecosystem Program
o Launched in early 2020 to provide greater support and encouragement to entrepreneurs of color.
o Removes barriers to business and nonprofit organization creation.
▪ Reinventing Delaware Program
o A leading brand in "crowdfunding for ideas”, launched in 2014.
o Holds community events which identify and foster bold ideas.
o Provides research, resources, and an organizational development process for those ideas and their creators, nurturing programs into existence.
o Alumni include Zip Code Wilmington, The Warehouse (Reach Riverside), Wilmington Greenbox, and Second Chances Farm.
▪ The Pete du Pont Freedom Award Program
o Established in 2003 to recognize an accomplished world citizen or organization which has demonstrated a life-long leadership commitment to the cause of preserving and enhancing individual freedoms, particularly through entrepreneurship.
The Westview Associates has been contracted to perform a retained search for the next Executive Director of PDFF. Qualified candidates are to contact: Ernest W. Russom III Executive Director The Westview Associates 610-405-4818 ERussom@TheWestviewAssociates.co