The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF), a nonprofit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, health journalism, and communications. KFF serves as a nonpartisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
KFF is seeking a qualified candidate for a Manager of Web Development & Data Visualization position to oversee the design, development, and maintenance of existing and new sections and features of the kff.org WordPress website. The ideal candidate will manage new web projects and maintain existing site features, seeking to improve the site’s ability to reach and engage with the largest possible audience through the best and latest technologies and user experience. The Manager will work closely with an external web development company, with whom KFF has had a decade-long relationship.
The Manager will also ensure the smooth day-to-day operation of KFF’s data visualizations, including hands-on creation of visualizations and staff training on data visualization platforms. Keeping an ear to the ground for the latest trends and tools, the Manager will look for new ways to enhance KFF’s data visualizations. Additionally, a key function of this position is collaboration with KFF policy analysts and survey researchers to create data visualizations that support the organization’s goal of providing meaningful health-related data to journalists, policymakers, and the general public.
This full-time position will be based either in KFF’s San Francisco, California headquarters or its Washington, DC office. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications and includes an excellent benefits package.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Management of Web Development
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders and KFF’s web development vendor to support the daily operations and improvement of the kff.org website.
- Plan for, and manage, upgrades and redesigns to specific projects and the overall website.
- Work closely with the Director of Marketing to define project scope and manage the prioritization of all ongoing projects.
- Work closely with KFF’s web development vendor to ensure optimal UX and UI design of all new projects and upgrades, ensuring that delivered work meets requirements and quality standards.
- Create and curate a visual style guide for the kff.org website, in coordination with the web development vendor.
- Organize and lead user testing efforts for new projects.
- Work with, and provide back-up support to, the Web Production team on publishing formatted content to kff.org’s WordPress website.
Management of Data Visualization
- Create and/or manage the creation of charts, maps and tables for websites and social media using graphics platforms and data visualization tools, adhering to KFF brand guidelines.
- Work with KFF’s web development vendor to ensure third party data visualizations integrate with WordPress.
- Train policy analysts to create data visualizations that help the audience understand key points, using the tools and platforms available to KFF.
- Evaluate new data visualization tools and keep an eye on new trends that could enhance KFF’s ability to convey data in visual formats.
Minimum Desired Experience and Skills
5+ years of experience managing or working in a hands-on capacity with WordPress websites including work with design, layout and user testing:
- Experience with WordPress’s new Gutenberg editor.
- Experience with UX/UI design; Ability to sketch out rough wire frames for new projects.
- Knowledge of basic HTML required to make style changes to web pages.
- Experience with website accessibility standards.
- Experience conducting user testing.
3+ years of experience managing the production of or directly creating data visualizations:
- Experience working with a variety of data visualization platforms including Datawrapper and Tableau; familiarity with Mapbox or ArcGIS, a plus.
- Experience creating charts and graphics with Adobe Creative Suite (Acrobat, Illustrator, Photoshop).
- Experience creating visualizations with state-level data preferred.
- Well-developed project management skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Strong written, oral, interpersonal communication and time-management skills and adept at presenting complicated information in a compelling and straightforward manner.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment, for a bi-coastal organization.
- Interest in domestic U.S. health policy issues and the workings of state and federal government, a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Interactive Design, Communications, Journalism, Statistics, or another relevant field preferred.
How to Apply
To apply for this position please submit the following as separate attachments to email@example.com labeling your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and including “Manager of Web Development & Data Visualization” in the email subject:
- Cover letter
- Support in the form of a collection of active links or graphic files demonstrating applicable experience and credentials
KFF has an efficient applicant review process and will contact candidates who have applied for this position and whose qualifications most closely fit the criteria for the job. No phone inquiries please.
It is the policy of KFF to actively promote a diverse and inclusive workplace in every respect, and to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees in every phase of employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.
Click Here for More Information